My "little" sister visited us last weekend. I use quotes because although several years younger than me, she is about 3 inches taller than me. She's not married yet. In fact she brought over another of her single friends. Said friend was my home teacher before Jessica and I got married. Anyway, this friend, (we'll call him "Shawn" to protect his identity), came in and the first question he asked was, "So, do you have any kids yet?" I was very proud of Jessica because without missing a beat, she replied, "No. Thanks for asking. Are you married yet?" Yes it was vindictive, but it it felt pretty darned good.
I don't tease her as much about being single now that the shoe is on the other foot. In fact I realized that we are on very similar journeys. We were talking and commiserating about it and we translated some of the "Aunt Jane questions" into terms she as a single could relate to.
Here were some of our favorites:
"My neighbor's daughter went to a different singles ward and got married in just two weeks."
"Just relax. then you'll get married."
"Have you considered mentoring a single guy?"
"I know somebody who got her mission call and got engaged 2 weeks later."
"There are many Older men still waiting for wives."(just added 04/16/08)
"Here, you can have MY husband."
I don't tease her as much about being single now that the shoe is on the other foot. In fact I realized that we are on very similar journeys. We were talking and commiserating about it and we translated some of the "Aunt Jane questions" into terms she as a single could relate to.
Here were some of our favorites:
"My neighbor's daughter went to a different singles ward and got married in just two weeks."
"Just relax. then you'll get married."
"Have you considered mentoring a single guy?"
"I know somebody who got her mission call and got engaged 2 weeks later."
"There are many Older men still waiting for wives."(just added 04/16/08)
"Here, you can have MY husband."
That is awesome love it!! Your quick! hey I added you to my hoping to adopt links I hope you don't mind?! Let me know if its okay!! Have a great week!
ReplyDeleteLAUGHING MY HEAD OFF. I love you Ron and Jessica!
ReplyDeleteThanks Christal, we love to be added!
ReplyDeleteThat is TOO funny. I read this to my husband and he laughed so hard!!
ReplyDeleteOkay, I left a comment on here yesterday, but our internet went down all of a sudden and I wondered if it made it. Evidently not.
ReplyDeleteI love the translation of the questions to meet the singles' needs!
We hated questions too. One man in our first ward would constantly harass us about "when we were going to get busy and have a baby!?" He happened to have a lot of kids so one day my husband snapped and said "We'll start as soon as you stop!"
Never asked us another question again.