Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Collage Copies and "robbing the cradle"

By Jessica



So a couple of weeks ago we went to an office store to make copies of our new collage. We redo our dear birthmother letter online all the time, but our original collage was done in Sept/Oct. 2006.


It was time for a new one.


So away we go to the copy center. Nobody is there to help us. Nobody is coming to help us. We stand there looking around.
Finally the copy center gal sees she has customers and comes to help us.

I tell her we need 55 copies (50 for Ldsfs and 5 extras) and I want to look at the first copy to make sure it's ok.

I obsess over a glaring spot on the first copy.


Right on our wedding picture.


Hmm.


"It looks like a dent in the picture," she says. She doesn't think it will come out.


"Ron, hand me your glasses cloth," I say.


I start rubbing the photo with it.


I'm hoping I don't have to go home and redo the collage again.


She makes another copy and the spot is gone.


Whew.


I tell her, "We're not vain, it's just a really important project."


She asks if we are sending letters to family members or something.


"Actually," I tell her, "We're hoping to adopt and we want the birthmothers to see who we are and what we like to do."


She says, "Oh, I'm adopted." She laughs about the vain comment.


She reunited with her birthmother by using the internet. Her birthmother had provided the information neccessary to find her when this girl was 13. She's now 25.


She asks, "Aren't you a little young?"


Ummm.



"Ron is 31. I'm 28."


I should have asked her how old she thought we were before telling her how old we are. When I first got engaged to Ron, some of the people I worked with would tease me about "robbing the cradle."

This 19 year old guy I worked with would say Ron only looked 19. He was 25.

I'm really starting to wonder how we can make him look older. Especially since, um, well, I'm getting gray hairs coming in. I'm thinking maybe I can dye my hair blonde and we'll die his hair gray!

Or am I just splitting hairs? (pun intended)

9 comments:

  1. My idea was to shave my forehead a little higher and then try to comb my other hair over it but for some strange reason, Jessica didn't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha! You guys are too funny.

    My husband is 31 and I am in fact 28. Lately I have been accused of being in MIDDLE SCHOOL! But always HIgh School. He has been accused of being 40. Kinda funny! :)

    We so need to redo our Birth Mother letter/Picture collage too! We wrote ours the same time you did! :) That could be a project for next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Travis is six years older than I am, but when we were dating everyone at my work thought I was robbing the cradle. I'd recently returned from my mission and they all kept saying, "Well, he hasn't been on a mission yet has he? He can't be more than 20." He was 29. I cried. From that time on, Travis has had a goatee because it hides his baby face. In the last couple of years though I've lucked out because he's starting to get really gray. I'm okay with that. No one things I'm older anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you. Ron looks SO young. That is not a bad thing. I remember reading your online profile and was like...Wha? Ron is 30?! That was you know, a year ago. I pray for you guys all the time. Good luck with the new collage! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm... I am always the curious one that has to touch the HOT stove so to speak. =( The comment please see her is a virus. =/ I am to curious. It always gets me in trouble. Anywhoo

    I know it is hard for most to believe and it is awesome that you guys are updating your profile but to be honest I only saw the first picture on mike and elisa profile and I knew. When it's right it's right. Hard to feel that way I know. Deep sigh of relief. You guys are amazing and as I have entered the adoption world I almost get irritated at potential birth moms that choose to not place knowing that I am on the other side and it is so worth it. Can't convince anyway of that though. So hard for me especially being on the up swing.

    BTW- RON I am really excited to finally meet you and present with you on Friday. !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just recently shaved off the goatee I've been cultivating since Thanksgiving. I did it for aerodynamic reasons, but everyone says I look younger. This may not be a good thing though... I'm 31 and the wife is 33 - not sure how we ended up together but it works.

    So would either of you be opposed to facial hair? It might do the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sadly, and I should have mentioned this in the post, but Ron cannot grow facial hair. It is the scraggliest, ugly facial hair and I so wish that he could. I think a goatee would add the desired 10 years, but no such luck for him anyway. --- Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so funny!

    And do you know how many people I meet on a daily basis who are either adopted, birthparents or adoptive parents? It's so neat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. p.s. I LOVE your wedding pic. below...SOOO gorgeous! Jared's grandparents live right by that temple and it reminds me of visiting them...my kids run around that very spot where you are standing on a yearly basis, LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts