Thursday, April 10, 2008

Emma Smith: My Story


By Jessica

We saw this movie premier last night in the company of those who made the movie as well as the main actors and actresses. Thanks Nikki for giving us the tickets!!!

What I like most about this film is it was produced by Michael Kennedy, a decendant of Emma Smith, who wants to portray Emma's life and trials so people won't be so quick to judge her.

I recently read Michael Kennedy's conversion story in the Desert News and it gave me goosebumps! Here's a snippet: (Link to the full article)
"Virtually none of the Smiths' descendants were affiliated with the LDS Church for more than 100 years after Joseph Smith's death in 1844, and Emma Smith's papers and artifacts were passed down through her children. One became president of the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, now known as the Community of Christ...
As a boy living in Nevada, Kennedy had never heard of Joseph Smith. But after a high school history teacher assigned him to write about an ancestor who had an impact on American history, he asked his father for a suggestion.
Told he had an ancestor "who founded the state of Utah," Kennedy said his father pulled out a box of old photos and documents the teenager had never seen. As he laid them out, the doorbell rang. "Two young men were standing there with name tags and the first name 'Elder,'" he recalled..." the story goes on, but that's the part I enjoyed reading.

What I like about the movie is that it's really a love story.
Of course it's also a story about trials and faith.

I like this quote that Emma said in the movie: "Strength is not something you're born with, strength is something you find."
If you plan on seeing this movie (and you should plan on it) take a tissue or two!!! It's a powerful story, told in a beautiful way. I recommend it!

5 comments:

  1. I am so glad you guys enjoyed it! That is neat all the actors/actresses were there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see this! I actually know and grew up with the guy who plays Joseph Smith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to see this movie. I am glad you liked it! That would have been fun to go to the premier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited to see this. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a good movie. You guys might have been lucky to see it on April 11th. But i saw the premiere on April 10th at the Megaplex Theatre. There, I met the actor, Nathan Mitchell, who played Joseph Smith, Rick Macy,
    who played Joseph Smith Senior, And Katherine Nelson, who played Emma Hale. I also got the movie poster of this film at the Megaplex Theatre. It was a great film. I wish i could see this film again. It seems
    that the tickets are sold out. But i found a link that this film was going to be released on DVD in January 2009 next year. Thanks for posting this review.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts