To our adoption friends and others who dream of it.
I am wondering.
If money had no part in the adoption process.
If you could adopt from any country anywhere in the world (including the US).
Where would you pick?
and
Why would you pick it?
I can think of many places.
Although I don't feel strongly about one over another.
We chose the U.S. because that's where LDSFS offers to help us.
But I have considered (in no order): China, Thailand, Mexico, Marshall Islands, Russia and Kazakhstan...
What about you?
We would do Brasil. Perhaps because of the obvious, we have some "connections" down there, that if we wanted a baby this instant we could basically do it. Legally though, it would take much, much, much longer. Brasil is not kind when it comes to international adoption. I have looked into Guatemala too, pretty heavily, if money were no object, I would do there...then China.
ReplyDeleteNow that we have had a few months experience being foster parents I could never adopt anywhere but the good old U.S. of A. There are so many needy (adorable) children out there!
ReplyDeleteHowever, before we ever got married or even knew we had infertlity issues, my husband and I discussed adopting children from Cambodia. My husband served a Cambodian-Speaking mission and the children are so adorable and the people are so good. We loved the idea of adoption even then because his best friend was adopted from Vietnam and was a really neat person.
My wife and I have discussed adopting from South Africa at some point. We both did service in some of the orphanages down there, mostly kids whose parents have died from Aids and fell in love with them and the culture.
ReplyDeleteOur dream would be to provide them with a loving home, educational opportunities, whilst keeping them in touch with their heritage, and hopefully allowing them to return home one day and make a difference.
We're not sure of the government regulations surrounding international adoptions from South Africa, or what the cost might be, but if money and policy were removed from the equation, that would be the place, either that or Zimbabwe, for the same reasons.
I would love to adopt from Tonga or Samoa because my husband loves the South Pacific and the culture. Or Russia and the surrounding areas.
ReplyDeleteI have always been drawn to Africa I don't know why. Since I was little I have had this fascination with that country. The people, the culture, the colors of their clothes. Everything. I can remember being 6 or so saying that I was going to adopt a baby from there. I still can but who knew I would place. =)
ReplyDeleteOne of my mission companions is now a China Placement coordinator for an agency on the west coast, so we've actually seriously considered that. But it came down the the money issue. We can't afford international adoption right now. Besides, we prayed a lot and really felt like the Lord had babies here in the US for us. Maybe at some point we'll look elsewhere, but for right now, we feel like we're on the right path.
ReplyDeleteThe two we have really considered are Guatemala and Kazakhstan. I think more and more we just feel, "why not the US." There are so many agencies here and if you are spending the $$ for international why not check into all of the US agencies. The top things we really had to consider for international were 1) the wait in the country 2) the wait for placement or even more so the wait to get them even after being matched (for Guatemala that was 7-10 months!) and then of course 3) the money.
ReplyDeleteI have always wanted to adopt, although I am not married or ready to start a family, but I would adopt from China because of how many little Chinese girls that are needing loving parents and a good home. And like Leisha, I would like to adopt from Cambodia or Vietnam.
ReplyDeleteSo I would have a family with a Chinese girl and a Vietnamese or Cambodian boy.
Ok, I'm not planning on adopting, but can I still answer the question?
ReplyDeleteI have always imagined the blessing it would be to someone adopted from another country if their parents could tell them about where they came from. I always thought (back when I wondered if we would ever have children) that we would love to have a baby from Ukraine or the Philippines. I know it's not really true, but I always thought that I would like a baby from one of those because it seems like the mother wouldn't be as likely to do drugs or anything that would harm the baby.
Ok, back to work...bye, guys!