Wednesday, January 30, 2013

How To Update A Coffee Table - Cheap & Easy

This coffee table was a pretty easy project - I think practically any person could do it.
The Finished Project:
(Complete with Zach's lizard and obvious scratches to my beautiful chocolate brown paint. But at least the tile should hold up against my children's abuse right?)

Here's the breakdown of items I used:

Free paint from Benjamin Moore - it's the chocolate brown color. I used the same color on my railing project and on a shelf project I haven't posted yet. It's an excellent accent color, but way too dark to paint a whole room or even a whole wall.

Tiles purchased from Home Depot. I spent approx $3 each for the three large ones and then I bought two different sized sets of recycled glass tiles for $5 per sheet. If there had been a little bit more room on the width of the table I could have done this project with just the one sheet of square tiles. Unfortunately there wasn't enough room and I had to buy the rectangle ones for the smaller space.

I also bought a box of grout. I can't remember how much it was, probably $5-$9. I already had a sponge and I actually just used a paint stir stick to spread the grout around the sides of the tiles. I didn't have to cut any tiles - I measured the table prior to starting this project to make sure I wouldn't have to do that. I think the Home Depot cuts tiles for you for a fee if you need it.

All I did was mix the grout according to the manufacturer's instructions. Then one tile at a time I placed the three large tiles on top of the grout I spread on the coffee table. After that I cut the recycled glass tiles into sections with scissors and used the grout to place these around the edges. In no time this table looks exactly how I imagined!!! Total project cost less than $30! I'm really happy with the results. See before picture here.

1 comment:

Related Posts