And here is our DIY
ENTRY AFTER:
(Just need to sand and paint that oak handrail you see going downstairs)
LIVING ROOM AFTER:
(The balcony banister used to be a half-wall. I can't find my before pictures, but if I do I'll be sure to do an update. The difference is awesome! We also need to finish the moulding and beadboard- see below to give us your ideas! And I want to buy an area rug.)
It looks so amazing and different - I love it! I love the clean and simple. I love the natural colors and textures. I love the contrasts!
A few of you have asked how we changed our oak ballusters to iron ballusters, so I thought I'd share a few links. After I thought about the project for a while and we decided to do it; I googled oak and iron ballusters and found a few helpful videos.
Instructions for how to install a banister. - which has links to videos on the side bar.
The hardest part was keeping the children safe for three days, while the wall was torn down! Then keeping them safe while there were power tools all over the floor! The most surprising thing about this project was how difficult it was to build the balcony banister. Ron and I actually make a good team in the sense that he's good at the hard labor and I'm good at project management :) hee hee
Really, though, I did all of the measuring and mathmatics of the project - making sure it was built correctly. Also I did a lot of sanding, priming and painting. Ron did the hammering, drilling, cutting, glueing and installing. Cosidering we've never done anything this diffucult before - I think it looks amazing! AND this DIY cost less than $600 - retail is approx. $4000!
NOW - Here's where we need your help -
See the wall behind the fireplace? That was one of the many surprises of this project. There was wiring that needed to be moved and the sheetrock on that wall was destroyed. Instead of replacing it we decided to buy beadboard to try to warm up the look of the room. Plus Ron really hates doing sheetrock :)
SO - What should we do with it?
Paint it? - What color would look good?
Stain it?
Make the wood look antique and then glaze it?

looks amazing!
ReplyDeleteReally looks open and great! I wouldn't stain the wall as it would conflict with your wood flooring. I would paint it. Either grey like your furniture, or maybe even the same color as the new bannister. With the white fireplace, you couldn't paint it white. Looks really amazing as Ariana said. What a lot of work!!
ReplyDelete