Friday, March 07, 2008

Michael Wilcox

By Jessica

Ron and I had the pleasure of attending an adoption fireside wednesday night.
The message was good. It was what we constantly need to hear.
Anyone going thru a trial needs to hear it.
I'll share some of what Bro. Wilcox said. (He has a daughter struggling with infertility.)
He told of Sarah, Rachel and Hannah.
Sarah who didn't have Isaac until she was 90. And she "rejoiced"!
Rachel who said, "Give me children or else I die"!
Hannah who fretted because of her adversary.

It makes it easy to ask why are babies going to unsuitable homes.
God gave us the scriptures so we can answer our questions.
We can read about many accounts of righteous families not blessed with children.
Bro. Wilcox taught that sometimes in life you get a sword and sometimes you get an angel.

(Acts 12)
Peter and James are arrested by Herod.
Both are righteous and good.
Herod kills James "with the sword."
Peter is freed from prison by an angel.
Sometimes we get the sword and sometimes we get the angel.
That's life. Try not to compare your life with someone else's life.

Bro. Wilcox said to avoid making Dangerous Assumptions:
#1. Don't assume God isn't there.
ie: I'm not asking for something wrong; I'm asking for a child!
#2. Don't assume God isn't listening.
ie: I know God is there so He must not be listening.
#3. Don't assume He doesn't care.
ie. I know God is there and listening so He must not care.
#4. Never assume you're not worthy.
No one is "worthy". Mormons are experts at finding guilt. STOP LOOKING for it!

Bro. Wilcox also said we worship a fourth watch God. Meaning there are 4 watches in the night,
The First watch starts at sunset.
The fourth watch coming just before dawn.
He will come in the moment of greatest despair.
When the apostles were rowing in a storm and it seemed they were not making any progress, Jesus was watching from the shore. Not until they needed Him most did He come.
But He DID come. He WILL come.

God has prepared each of us for the trials we will face.
It's too bad we're all first watch people.

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, it sounds like such a good fireside! I love the "give me children or else I die" scripture...it is one of my very favorites! She is my kind of woman! Why do you think my daughter is named Rachel?? (No, not really)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you were able to go. I really wanted to go to this but I was sick on Wed. It sounds like it was a GREAT fireside I am sad I missed it

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts