Many people often ask us this question. It is a natural question to ask. After all we kind of expect everything in life to be a linear progression. For example if you’re driving from here to Vegas, you know that when you leave it’s 6 hours. Once you get through Provo 5 hours. Once you reach St. George you know there’s only 2 hours left. Adoption can be like taking that same trip in the trunk of the car. You know that eventually you’ll get there, but without seeing the landmarks go by, you don’t ever really know where you are until you get there.
So I guess you could say that we’re almost there. After all, we’ve passed all of the landmarks right?
-We went in to the agency to meet with a case worker. Her name is Rachel and she’s wonderful and supportive. (Our first worker was Kate who has now moved to New York, but she was great too!)
--We had to get reference letters by 3 friends, 1 family member, and our bishop. (Thank you Bishop Bradford, James and Natalie, Brandon and Tasha, Matt and Kathryn, and Aunt Carolee)
--We had a background check so they could make sure we weren’t terrorists.
--We had physicals to make sure we weren’t on our deathbeds.
--We created a profile for www.itsaboutlove.org/profiles (just type in our names, Ronandjessica)
--We created a photo collage and a Dear Birthmother letter for our file at the agency.
--Our case worker (It was Kate at that time) came out to our house to do a home study.
--We were approved for adoption.
Now we come back to the trunk metaphor. We’ve been driving for what feels like 6 hours. Shouldn’t we be there? We don’t know, we can’t see. Maybe we’re just cresting that hill looking down in to Las Vegas and it’s only another 10 minutes. Or maybe we have been sitting in traffic and we haven’t even made it to Parowan. (Where’s Parowan you ask? That’s the point, nobody knows where Parowan is, but the Travel Center truck stop there has the cheapest gas between Salt Lake and St. George.)
But the driver is our Heavenly Father. He knows where we’re going and we have to trust Him to deliver us there safely. And we have to be thankful everyday that He’s willing to take us along for the ride. Because after all. What joy we will have when He finally opens the trunk and says, “You’re here!”
Thank you for the ride Heavenly Father. I sure hope we get there soon.
I pray that you arrive soon too! I have come to know you guys a little better and see how wonderful you are, and how ready you are to be parents! Loved this post, so real, and explains the emotions of adoption so well.
ReplyDeleteThis is great too. I love it. I hope and pray that your journey of waiting will come soon! I hated the wait!!! I dread doing it again!!
ReplyDelete