At the last minute, we decided to take our family to Lake Tahoe.
After a long drive, made bearable by Grandma Nancy's portable dvd player, lots of snacks, several road-side stops and a last minute dash to Smith's for the swim diapers we forgot at home, we made it.
The following day we went to a really fun event called the Kokanee Salmon Festival.
A rare family photo - not to be confused with a good family photo, but we're all there and that counts!
Salmon are interesting creatures - swimming back to their place of birth at the end of their lives to lay eggs and start the cycle anew.
The kids were facinated by everything!
A colorful, giant, air-filled salmon - ZJ was able to go inside.
He's collecting the "eggs".
We even got to meet two life-sized salmon!
Lexi was a little unsure about the life-sized fishies.
After we visited all the fun and educational booths we made our way along the Rainbow Trail to see the salmon up-close and personal. Photographers were set-up since early in the morning to capture black bears feeding on the fish. We managed to avoid the bears, but did get to see lots of salmon swimming in Taylor Creek.
Seems a little fishy to me - a boy with a fish tatoo, fish sticker and a fish coloring book.
The next day we headed out to enjoy the beach.
First stop was Camp Richardson where we visited the Pumpkin Patch.
Then we walked out onto the pier for the beautiful view.

First stop was Camp Richardson where we visited the Pumpkin Patch.
Then we walked out onto the pier for the beautiful view.
The kids loved watching a couple of waverunners.
After that we stuffed ourselves at Fire and Ice and went back to our Villa for a nap!
We caught the end of the villa activity for the afternoon - cookies and face painting and then headed out for a walk to the beach.
It was a windy day, but we found a spot on the beach for Lexi and I.
Ron always gets to chase ZJ. That little boy loves to run! He chased ducks. He threw sand in the lake. Then he chased more ducks. Then he'd run into the lake. Finally we had to take his clothes off because we knew he'd need something warm to wear after he was done running around! (Lake Tahoe is pretty cold water in October.)
Lexi and I were perfectly content to sit on the beach. I do enjoy people watching after all. I loved watching the couples who came to the beach without kids. They all laughed at ZJ's antics. Lexi enjoyed watching ZJ and the ducks while sifting the sand thru her fingers over-and-over. I think she probably could have done that for hours if I wasn't so paranoid about her eating sand with possible duck poop in it!
Anyway, I just loved watching ZJ run around without a care in the world. And watching Lexi's chubby little hand grab the sand over and over and over. It made me feel young again. It made me want to sift the sand thru my fingers just to see what it's like. Lexi thought that was the coolest thing ever and I love watching my children. I love feeling reborn when they discover something for the first time.
Later I thought about it and realized I couldn't think of my age off the top of my head. I had to add up the years and it made me think how unimportant that number is to me now. Before kids I used to think 30 was a bigger deal. I was struggling with the idea of having no kids by then. I barely made it by about seven months.
Now my time doesn't matter and is rarely measured - all that matters is their time.
One special moment at a time.
Like when my almost three year old dumped half of the baby soap into the jetted tub.
He's a soap monster.
Who blows soap kisses.
Love it!
No comments:
Post a Comment