Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Open adoption

In a previous post about being an adoption advocate I mentioned that you could present an adoption message to your sunday school or church. I have been doing Outreach at LDS wards for LDS Family Services for several months now. The presentation includes a video that is based on an article from the February 2002 Ensign and then a short Question and Comment session. It is a very rewarding experience and I am grateful for the chance to serve. At the end of January I was presenting in a ward in West Valley and I opened the floor to questions and or comments and a man stood up. This man was about 30-40 years old and he said that he was adopted. He said that he was adopted back when open adoptions were unheard of. He said that he never doubted the love that his adoptive parents had for him. He said that he was filled with a longing to touch base with his roots. He finally found his birth mother a few years ago and he was so thankful to be able to find her. He said that the first thing he told her when he finally found her was, “Thank you so much for my family.”
I'm so thankful that open adoption is possible now so that those adopted children can have that connection to their history and heritage.

3 comments:

  1. When my husband and I first turned in our paperwork for adoption we were totally against open adoption. And as we learned more about it, we ended up realizing what a truly beautiful thing it can be.

    We are SO GRATEFUL for our open adoption with McCoy's birthfamily, and we wouldnt change one thing about it, except maybe to see McCoy's birthmother MORE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post. And hey, that's a fabulous photo of kittie. Cute little angel...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a little bit nervous about having an open adoption but our adoptoin as recently been MORE open than ever and I actaully love having our birth mom in our lives. She is a wonderful lady.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts