Browsing the Internet today I came across a quote that seems to have been delivered in a very tongue-in-cheek manner by actor Harry Shearer. You may know Harry from his voice portrayals of many of your and my favorite Simpsons Characters.
He said, “If absolute power corrupts absolutely, does absolute powerlessness make you pure?”
I laughed. Then it hit me. I think he’s right. We have all committed sins and we all fall short of the glory of God. But when we admit to ourselves that we are powerless to ever again stand in the presence of God, that’s when Jesus steps in and through his sacrifice in the Garden of Gethsemane and on the cross at Golgotha, he makes us pure again.
In fact I think that factor is in a large part responsible for the trials we go through. After all, God is all powerful and he could wipe away our trials in the blink of an eye. However, he chooses not to. After all, if our life was easy, we would never have to face how powerless we are. If we never have to face our reliance on him, how can we develop the kind of faith in Jesus necessary for him to make us pure.
And once he makes us pure we can start trying to develop charity which is the pure love that Jesus has and wants us to show for all of his brothers and sisters.
I laughed. Then it hit me. I think he’s right. We have all committed sins and we all fall short of the glory of God. But when we admit to ourselves that we are powerless to ever again stand in the presence of God, that’s when Jesus steps in and through his sacrifice in the Garden of Gethsemane and on the cross at Golgotha, he makes us pure again.
In fact I think that factor is in a large part responsible for the trials we go through. After all, God is all powerful and he could wipe away our trials in the blink of an eye. However, he chooses not to. After all, if our life was easy, we would never have to face how powerless we are. If we never have to face our reliance on him, how can we develop the kind of faith in Jesus necessary for him to make us pure.
And once he makes us pure we can start trying to develop charity which is the pure love that Jesus has and wants us to show for all of his brothers and sisters.
Love your thoughts, and indeed a powerful statement! Thanks for sharing your testimony of this today...and oddly enough about the Simpsons...always knew I like them!
ReplyDelete