I've been thinking about God's plan and adoption recently...I've read a lot of comments in the adoption community - many wondering why some get matched quickly and some don't. And while we'll never know the answer to that question, I have learned a few things. Maybe something I've learned can help you toward your next or first adoption. It's not my intention to offend anyone, only to offer suggestions - you can apply these to many other situations...
Adoption is expensive, but God will help you if you'll let him. Add your burdens to the Lord, as Jesus said, "For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (Matt. 11:30) It has been said that one horse can pull six tons while two horses yoked together can pull 36 tons! Imagine what you can do when you yoke yourself to the Lord!
Perhaps you're waiting for the right baby for your family or perhaps you're waiting for what you think is the right baby for your family. Have you asked God to help you find your baby? Maybe you could consider another question: What can I do to help God find my baby?
Here are some ideas I'll throw out (Ron and I have done all of these to make our adoptions happen):
Can you open up your preferences?
Can you get a second job or work overtime or both?
Have you considered working with another agency?
How about a $500 staycation instead of a $3000 vacation each year?
Have a second car - try sharing one with your spouse and save $4000 per year in expenses toward your adoption instead.
Can you sell any of your possessions on craig's list or to friends and family?
Can't make any of these sacrifices work for you right now - have you thought about a loan? This year's federal adoption credit is $13,170 - have you considered borrowing that much money and using your savings for the rest of your adoption expenses? (Remember I'm not a financial advisor!)
Have you asked God to help you consider Foster care or special needs adoption?
Adoption is not "fair". For that matter, life is not fair. But instead of focusing on the negative, try to focus on the positive. There are a lot of things we have no control over, but I've said this before - we do have control over our attitude. Did someone you know get matched and you're still waiting? There is time for you to grieve for yourselft, but after that time has passed - it's time to be happy for them! Adoption IS a miracle. Adoption is part of God's plan for some of His children. I would even say - adoption is part of God's plan for some of His lucky children. Adoption is amazing and He wants adoption to happen, so should you!
Be happy knowing you're doing everything in your power to make your adoption happen.
God will keep his promises to you.
A post I've wanted to write since 2007 - all about promises - to come....
Update: read it here: http://ronandjessica.blogspot.com/2011/09/gods-promises.html
No comments:
Post a Comment