Monday, September 20, 2010

How's Your Adoption Going?


Or another stranger version of this question we're hearing this time, "Have you got any bites?"
Bytheway, we're not trying to catch a fish.

What we are trying to do (as Troy Dunn, "The Locator" would say) is trade prayers with another person.
We are praying for another baby.
Someone else is praying to find a family for their baby.
Finding each other is the tricky part.
It's kind of like dating.
You don't just run out and marry the first person you see who's single!
Single people who go into the dating pool have certain ideas about what he or she is looking for in another person.
Along the way they may change a few of these ideas.
If the single person is also prayerful, they may even see that Heavenly Father has different ideas about who he or she should date.
Eventually everything lines up perfectly and two people, who were possibly strangers before or possibly friends before, get married.
Finding a baby to adopt is sort of similar.
We have certain ideas about what a good match is for our family.
The expectant mother has ideas about what she'd like in a family.
We may be strangers or we may be friends.
When our ideas line up, and hopefully with Heavenly Father's help, we'll meet each other and know we're a good match.
That being said, personal agency is as much a factor when trying to adopt as it is when trying to find someone to marry.
People can change their minds (including us) and decide not to go forward.
There really isn't a good way to measure progress.
Even if you are "matched" things can still change.

SOOO, I still don't have a great answer for this one.
Maybe someone does?
Last time I REALLY didn't have a clue how to answer.
I'm actually surprised so many people have asked me this already.
We were just approved July 7th!

Maybe I should just say, "Miracles take time...especially the big ones."


3 comments:

  1. I understand! For some reason the world seemed even more impatient for us to be chosen than we were. Which, as you know is very frustrating.

    I like your answer though! I will have to remember that when we are approved for the 2nd time around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When people ask me annoying questions, I try to answer the question I think they're trying to ask - like, "We know you're doing something tough, are you doing ok?"

    What question do you WISH people would ask? Obviously, people don't want to ignore this important part of your life...that would be more obnoxious, no?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christine, sometimes I wonder! Really you do ask an interesting question. I don't know that I can think of a good question for people to ask, though. It seems obvious to me that we don't have another baby, so that's the answer, ya know what I mean? Maybe I'd rather they just ask things like, "Is Zachary ready to be a big brother?" Not intrusive. Exciting. The type of question anyone planning on another baby would get...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts