McCoy started the very same thing when he was about two months. Aquaphor worked great for the flaky, dry skin. Also, I have found that aveeno works really well for McCoy eczema now. I just went to the allergist and they say now, more baths the better. 30 minute soak 1-2 a day and slather lotion on immediatly without any drying. And continue with lotion a couple more times during the day. It has really helped with McCoy. Also just a tad of 1% hydrocortizone on the really bad parts, except for not on places that would get in his mouth or eyes. And ZJ is totally cute, love his chubby cheeks!
Thanks Brenley! I was wondering about hydrocortizone cream because that's what I use on my legs, but I wasn't sure about using it on the baby. I'm definitely going to put it on his cheeks tonight and I'm sure it will help. His doctor recommended Aquaphor, too so we'll have to get some. Thanks - Jessica
have you taken him to the doctor? my friends baby has egzema really bad due to laundry detergent and wheat. you might want to call his doctor before even starting him on any creams too, they can also give him a steroid cream to help as well. good luck! poor little guy!!!
Poor ZJ! I hope his eczema goes away soon! I would also suggest looking into allergies. My friend's little boy has had horrible eczema... they learned when he was about 14 months old that his was related to certain foods and detergents. Good luck with getting things under control.
You can also use cetaphil as a cleanser that is more mild than baby soap. Be careful using the Hydrocortizone cream on the face as they can rub it in their eyes. Laundry detergents are a huge factor in this...do you wash his clothes in Dreft? That is a hypoallergenic detergent that they recommend for babies. He is adorable. I was glad I was able to see him on Saturday. Good luck and I will talk to you soon.
Wow, he is such a cutie! Blake had some eczema last winter so we use Dreft on his laundry and also only use Cetaphil cleanser and lotion on his face. Last year we also used some over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream that I mixed in with the Cetaphil, but only for the really rough patches. Luckily we haven't had to break out the hydrocortisone cream this year! Hope it goes away soon!
My doctor had us use the hydrocortisone 1% cream for my sons face. As long as we used it regularly, it worked. It went away on it's own after awhile, but it was rough there for a few weeks!!
Oh, wah! Eczema is NO fun. Amelia had it super bad as a babe because of her food allergies. The steroid cream didn't do her one bit of good, and hydrocortizone actually thins the skin, so use it very sparingly. We were told not to put it on the face. What worked the best for us was generic lubriderm. I swear by it. (Get the generic brand from Wal-Mart. Make sure it isn't scented). It's called Equate. It works better than the perscriptions and Aquafor for us. You may want to see a doctor about it, too. It may have something to do with his formula. (Is it milk based?) They can't do allergy testing that young, but if it continues and he has GI problems and fussiness you'll want to follow up. BUMMER. He's still super cute even with those eczema cheeks.
McCoy started the very same thing when he was about two months. Aquaphor worked great for the flaky, dry skin. Also, I have found that aveeno works really well for McCoy eczema now. I just went to the allergist and they say now, more baths the better. 30 minute soak 1-2 a day and slather lotion on immediatly without any drying. And continue with lotion a couple more times during the day. It has really helped with McCoy. Also just a tad of 1% hydrocortizone on the really bad parts, except for not on places that would get in his mouth or eyes.
ReplyDeleteAnd ZJ is totally cute, love his chubby cheeks!
also, no soapy baths. if you are going to wash hair and bottom, do at the very end.
ReplyDeleteThanks Brenley! I was wondering about hydrocortizone cream because that's what I use on my legs, but I wasn't sure about using it on the baby. I'm definitely going to put it on his cheeks tonight and I'm sure it will help. His doctor recommended Aquaphor, too so we'll have to get some. Thanks - Jessica
ReplyDeletehave you taken him to the doctor? my friends baby has egzema really bad due to laundry detergent and wheat. you might want to call his doctor before even starting him on any creams too, they can also give him a steroid cream to help as well. good luck! poor little guy!!!
ReplyDeletePoor ZJ! I hope his eczema goes away soon! I would also suggest looking into allergies. My friend's little boy has had horrible eczema... they learned when he was about 14 months old that his was related to certain foods and detergents. Good luck with getting things under control.
ReplyDeleteYou can also use cetaphil as a cleanser that is more mild than baby soap. Be careful using the Hydrocortizone cream on the face as they can rub it in their eyes. Laundry detergents are a huge factor in this...do you wash his clothes in Dreft? That is a hypoallergenic detergent that they recommend for babies. He is adorable. I was glad I was able to see him on Saturday. Good luck and I will talk to you soon.
ReplyDeleteWow, he is such a cutie! Blake had some eczema last winter so we use Dreft on his laundry and also only use Cetaphil cleanser and lotion on his face. Last year we also used some over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream that I mixed in with the Cetaphil, but only for the really rough patches. Luckily we haven't had to break out the hydrocortisone cream this year! Hope it goes away soon!
ReplyDeleteMy doctor had us use the hydrocortisone 1% cream for my sons face. As long as we used it regularly, it worked. It went away on it's own after awhile, but it was rough there for a few weeks!!
ReplyDeleteOh, wah! Eczema is NO fun. Amelia had it super bad as a babe because of her food allergies. The steroid cream didn't do her one bit of good, and hydrocortizone actually thins the skin, so use it very sparingly. We were told not to put it on the face. What worked the best for us was generic lubriderm. I swear by it. (Get the generic brand from Wal-Mart. Make sure it isn't scented). It's called Equate. It works better than the perscriptions and Aquafor for us. You may want to see a doctor about it, too. It may have something to do with his formula. (Is it milk based?) They can't do allergy testing that young, but if it continues and he has GI problems and fussiness you'll want to follow up. BUMMER. He's still super cute even with those eczema cheeks.
ReplyDeleteVaseline!
ReplyDelete