(A scrapbook page from our adoption profile)
We teach and teach and teach our children, but sometimes they teach us.
The other night, Zachary was playing in his playroom. As we watched him, Jessica and I were discussing where we stand in our adoption efforts and she asked Zachary, "Do you want a Brother or Sister?" Zachary repeated her in his cute little way and continued playing.
A little bit later it was time to change his diaper. I took him and laid him on his changing table and begun the process of replacing his stinky diaper.
At one point, Zachary became agitated and said, "Daddy I want a Brother or a Sister." I responded, Zachary, I can't give you that. You need to pray for it.
Well this sweet little boy immediately folded his arms right there on the changing table and began to pray. I was so touched by his simple faith. Zachary has been praying over meals and at bedtime as we coached him, but this was the first time I had heard him say his own prayer.
There's been a few times that something has bothered me and I've told Jessica about it and she asks me "Have you prayed about it?" Then sometimes I wait until later that evening and if I remember I will include it in my evening prayers.
My son taught me an important lesson in humility. I suggested that he pray and he immediately complied. I hope I can develop that simple humility and faith.

Your beautiful family is such an example to me! I hope we can raise Gage in a way that someday he too will think to pray.
ReplyDelete