Friday, April 30, 2010

National Infertility Awareness Week

I have debated within myself all week about whether or not I would post something about National Infertility Awareness week.
Today is my day to get it out.
To throw my thoughts carelessly to the wind.
Like many of my infertile friends already have said; infertility blows.
But I wouldn't be the person I am without it.
I wouldn't have the emotional scars.
I wouldn't know the joys and pains of adoption.
I wouldn't have my beautiful son.
Infertility made us childless...and while we're no longer childless because of adoption, we will always be infertile.
Many people tell us about their friends who've become pregnant miraculously after years and years of marriage.
While telling us these stories, I see the light of hope in their eyes for us.
I see the hope they have that this could happen for us, too.
Usually I just smile and muster something like, "that's great for them."
But the truth is there are varying degrees of infertility.
Our infertility is complete.
It is 100% for sure.
We are sterile.
There will be no little Ron and Jessica.
Ever.
It's sad sometimes, but it's something we will always have to deal with in this life.
This is one of our trials.
Is it easy?
Nope.
Would I trade my trials for yours?
Nope.
Right now while we're dealing with starting the adoption process over, my infertile emotions have been especially vulnerable.
I realize again that I have no control over my family.
We can't have a baby right now just because we want one.
We can't plan how close ZJ will be in age to his sibling.
We don't even know if he'll ever have a sibling.
We'll do everything we can do to adopt again, but it's out of our hands.
That's the worst part of infertility.
So all that being said...be kind to your infertile friends.
It's not your job to make us feel better, but reaching out with a hug never hurt anyone (at least not that I know of).

5 comments:

  1. Amen Jessica,
    And friends, family, loved ones, please don't tell us about so and so who got miraculously pregnant because it hurts. You're basically telling us that until we get pregnant and have a baby that way, we're not really parents.
    And I've changed hundreds of Poopy diapers that say, "You're Wrong."
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you jessica! ((hugs)) to one infertile friend to another!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hugs for you. I'm so excited for you guys to adopt again! Infertility does blow, and I only had to deal with it for 15 months. It rips your heart apart. My heart breaks when my friends have to go through infertility themselves. Even though mine was short lived, it still hurt, so I can't imagine how much it hurts for those who have been trying for years and years with no success. I loved this post Jessica. You are an amazing woman, and an amazing mother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post made my heart ache and smile all at the same time. Oh the joys of infertility. And I feel like that too Ron! Ugh!

    I hope everything goes smooth and quickly with your second adoption. Your family is in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts