Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Funny Thing about Temples


Have you ever talked to someone who wasn't LDS about our temples?
They think the things that go on in there are secret. I've spoken to people who were determined that they would find a way to get in.
I think that's funny on so many levels.
1. You can get in. Each temple has an Open House before it is dedicated.
2. If 2 people know something it's no longer a secret, and hundreds of thousands of worthy church members have temple recommends.
3. You want to know what happens in the temple? Besides sealing?
When we go to the temple we make covenants.
What kind of covenants do we make?
We make covenants that we will live our lives the a certain way.
It's no big secret. The way we covenant to live our lives
is the way we were already living in order to be worthy to receive that Temple Recommend.

Which brings me to what I really wanted to write about.
Last month our Temple Recommends expired.
We had to have a worthiness interview with a member of our bishopric
and a member of our stake presidency.
Both times they asked the standard questions:

Do you believe in God?
Do you accept Jesus Christ as your Savior?
Do you believe Thomas Monson is the prophet?
Do you believe the Gospel was restored?

And I remembered Elder Packer once said that "A testimony can be found in the bearing of it."
And it's true.
By answering Yes to those questions, I was bearing my testimony in its most simple form.
As I answered Yes to these questions I felt a very powerful witness reconfirming that these things I believe, are true.
My friends,
Jesus lives.
He is our Saviour.
And he loves us.


Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. I love the picture!

    I took some non-member friends to the Oquirrh dedication when that was going on. They walked through and went, "That's it? That's all you do?" I guess we weren't exciting enough (o:

    Also, why is my verification word "brothil"? I'm not sure how I feel about that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I've had people say strange things to me about the temple (which is kind of why I wrote my book). I love that we in the SLC area are having so many opportunities to teach people about the temple (with the open houses that have been going on). Our birth mom even got to go to the Oquirrh Mtn. Temple open house and see the sealing rooms (where we will be sealed in April)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute picture.

    What a sweet little family!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts